Johan Benestam – Biography
• Master of Science in Golf Course Architecture.
Heriot-Watt University The Edinburgh College of Art, Edinburgh, Scotland.
• Bachelor of Science in Landscape Planning
The Swedish University of Agriculture of Science, Alnarp, Sweden.
• The American Scholarship “The Grand Tour Scholarship for 2004”
Sponsored by The Toro Company and Robert Trent Jones Jr.
• The Federation of Scandinavian Golf Course Architects (FSGA)
Board member and Treasurer.
– My interest in golf began early while working as a green keeper at my local club, The Royal Drottningholm Golf Club in Stockholm, Sweden. Having prepared the golf course for major competitions including, The Scandinavian Enterprise Open and The Scandinavian Masters, I became enthusiastic about pursuing a position as a golf course superintendent.
I began my formal academic education in 1998 at the Swedish University of Agriculture, where I in 2001 earned a Bachelor of Science in Landscape Planning. My budding interest in architecture, in combination with my enthusiasm for golf, led me to the only place in the world offering a specialized education; Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland where in October 2002, obtained a Master of Science in Golf Course Architecture.
After completing my studies, I worked both as a landscape and golf course architect at the Landscape Department at the Stockholm offices of international services company, WSP. In 2005, I started my own business, Benestam Golf Course Design and have over the years, gained more knowledge about the entire processes of designing golf courses. My assignments have resulted in a deeper understanding of how maintenance, construction and architecture are linked throughout the development phases of a successful golf course.
On several occasions, I have been requested to lecture in golf course architecture for The Swedish Golf Federation and the Swedish Green Keeper Association. I have been a member of The Royal Drottningholm Golf Club for more than 30 years. My handicap is five.